A journalist observes life in the far north.
1) I am reading television journalist Lesley Stahl’s memoir, “Reporting Live.”
2) Lucky took five steps a few nights ago.
3) Alec is mad at me, announcing last night over plates of pork and rice that I don’t pay attention when he is talking to me.
4) I bought a frog costume for Lucky to wear on Halloween despite making much ado about how I planned to sew her a costume.
5) A soldier friend of mine asked today whether I’d be interested in collaborating on a book about his upcoming deployment to Afghanistan, where he’ll be a commander. (I just spelled Afghanistan correctly on the first try. A good sign, huh?)
6) There’s been a confirmed bear sighting in the forest within a mile of my house.
7) I have neglected the chickens lately, and I am afraid to go out to the hen house to find them all dead.
8 ) I was in my bathrobe until 2 p.m. today.
9) I resolved to dye my hair red to cover the gray but then changed my mind.
10) I hate how Lucky smells like the babysitter when I pick her up after work.