A journalist observes life in the far north.
I put together this list after being “tagged” on Facebook:
1) I share a birthday with Jay Leno and the late Saddam Hussein.
2) I don’t look when being weighed at the doctor’s office nor do I own a scale.
3) I make bread from scratch.
4) I miss my dog, Monique, who died last year at the age of 14.
5) I once danced near Micheal Damian while he belted out the song “Rock on.”
6) I am 99 percent sure that I saw Virginia Madsen at the Gurnee Mills Mall.
7) I have 13 plants in my house and 14 windows.
8 ) One of my favorite books is “There’s a Wocket in My Pocket” by Dr. Suess.
9) Outdoor summer concerts make me happy.
10) I like to sometimes go to bed in my street clothes.
11) I met Melinda Gates and accidentally called her Melissa.
12) I have a thing for fishermen and mountain climbers.
13) I’ve seen a dead body.
14) In college, I lived in a cabin with an outhouse and loved every minute.
15) I predict that I will need a new hip in 20-or-so years.
16) I wish I were more brave.
17) I like to ask questions.
18 ) I aspire to write a book someday.
19) The book will probably be non-fiction.
20) I often think of sponsoring a child in Africa but never do it.
21) My new sewing machine is still in the box.
22) Meanwhile, I continue to buy patterns for clothes I want to make.
23) Don’t worry, Alec, the patterns are cheap.
24) I want to go to grad school, but not until I finish paying for under grad.
25) I rode on the back of a motorcycle 364 miles from Fairbanks to Valdez.