Murphy Dome Diaries

A journalist observes life in the far north.

If you’re still reading this blog, thank you

I haven’t known what to say in this space lately, probably owing to lack of time to contemplate my life. Or maybe it’s the mind-numbing affects of snow and cold every day for the last six months. Or maybe it’s hard to concentrate on writing something readable when an attention-thirsty 1-year-old is cursing me out in gibberish and trying to sink her eight whole teeth into my arm.

My body aches from all of the training and when I look in the mirror, my face looks harsh and drawn. I’ve started lying in a tanning bed for 10 minutes once a week. I hope the trip to Nepal, which is two and a half weeks away, softens me up a bit. Alec and I are already in the throes of deciding what to bring and what to leave behind. Al MacGyvered a piece of plywood into a table where our gear is splayed. I still need to shop for a good sun/rain hat.

Work is hard but my new boss is a dream. He is a super star listener. I think I probably talk too much as I lavish in being heard. I wrote a story about biodiesel that I am rather proud of. See it here. It started as one of those lame stories where someone does something to get attention from the press, and I think I did a decent job of finding some real meaning.

I ordered a book to study for the Graduate Record Examination or the GRE. I don’t know what my future holds but I figured I might as well bang out the test so that graduate school is an option. It’s a three hour test, and the test taker must pay $140 for the pleasure.

I miss my friends very much and almost managed to see some of them over the weekend but Lucky was throwing up. It was weird because other than throwing up, she was normal, playing and eating like it was any other day. Today, I woke up feeling queasy but I think it was just daylight savings time. I wish they’d do away with it because it messes me up bad. I don’t mind when we get that extra hour every fall but when the hour must be given back, it’s painful, especially because I hate waking up when it’s still dark out.

I feel like I’ve taken over custody of the wood stove. It was Alec’s domain until he joined a gym a few weeks ago. Now it seems we are always needing wood upstairs. I don’t mind because carrying wood up two flights of stairs feels like good training. And Alec still does all of the sweeping around the wood stove. I don’t think I’ve touched a broom since November.

Below are some pictures from the Ice Park. Enjoy.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on March 9, 2009 by .
%d bloggers like this: