A journalist observes life in the far north.
I had been thinking about turning 40 next year and decided to make a list of ten things I know for sure because the best thing about getting older is improving your ability to navigate in this world. I do it through trial and error. It’s kind of ugly sometimes.
The ink wasn’t dry on my list of things I know for sure when I had a string of bad luck, which I handled less than gracefully, making me think I don’t know jack. So the list has been sitting.
But I’m feeling a little better now. So here goes.
Ten things I know for sure
1) Egyptian cotton sheets are totally worth the money.
2) You teach people how to treat you.
3) Learn to forgive and let go. It’s more for you than the other person.
4) There are few things more satisfying then creating something with your own hands.
5) Make time for live music. Music lifts the spirits.
6) Tending a garden is relaxing.
7) People losing an argument or debate will make things personal or throw out red herrings. Be watchful and don’t be led down that path.
8)) A tree makes a nice gift.
9) Buy renters insurance. Good coverage costs about the same per month as a couple of movie tickets.
10) Turn off your computer and go outside. You won’t regret it.